Friday, June 22, 2012

Shift Happens: Leading an Evolution

4 comments:

  1. This program recalled the efforts the King COunty Library System made to allow their staff more time to develop community projects. They developed a new staffing model that freed up time for MLS staff to get away from the desk to foster more time for innovative and creative thinking. With all of their time off desk they were able to come uo with projects like a developing aVirtual Tour, host a Multi-cultural event, develop a healthy living program, set up a legos workshop, and go out to teach the community about using digital devices. Sound familiar? I thought it was funny that they needed more time to do what we do on a regular basis! RCPL really does rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also attended this program and shared Linda's point of view about the KCLS' Future Services Strategy. I also thought it was interesting that the presenters offered a cautionary note about not making assumptions when implementing a major change in the staffing model. Specifically, that people's feelings of loss count when they are changing roles and expectations. They said you need to respect the time it takes someone to process change and continually adapt the support mechanism. I appreciated the presenters' open and honest discussion about their experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended this program three! In previous years KCLS programs have always been innovative and very interesting. I agree with Linda, it seemed like they gave staff time off desk to do what we already do, create and present programs and come up with new services. To accomplish this KCLS created new staffing models to give a "significant increase in time for librarians to think, develop and deliver relevant services in the library, in the community and online." Google employees came to mind, who have 20% of their time to spend exploring their own creative ideas and projects of their choosing. We do so much with what we have, I kept thinking why do they need all this time to do what we already do, why did they re-organize whole departments to do this and make a pilot program with a consultant…it was puzzling. But then if they have a different organizational culture, perhaps they needed to reorganize in order to make this happen. I wasn’t so sure by the end of the program if this idea had worked for them, it sounded like they had a lot of revisions and issues that had come up during the “Shift Happens” project, but at least they acknowledged this and didn’t gloss over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt this was a bit of a bait and switch. This program was originally called Shift Happens:*leading the evolution* and then they switched it to something about remaining relevant which seemed quite underwhelming in the end. It did not catch my interest because they focused too much on their mission statement, service priorities, etc. If those were unlike anyone elses, then that would be one thing, but they sounded much the same as others I have seen. Bummer. Should have gone to the Indispensable Library program like I had intended.

    ReplyDelete