Friday, June 15, 2012

Any Other Comments?...

Was there anything else of note that happened at conference? Funny moments? Interesting people you met? Good food you ate? MP

16 comments:

  1. Vivian & Barb dropped my off at the Disneyland Hotel this evening after an easy drive (well, easy for me since Vivian drove). Disney customer service did well by me as the room I was going to get was on the second floor and asked for a room higher up. Turns out I had a great view of the fireworks! So I'll be ready to see what their customer service training is all about tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner tonight was fun - RK, Renee, and I had dinner with Paymaneh (director of Whittier) and Margaret DT (director of County of Los Angeles). Great fun chatting to people who know *everything* going on in the library world! They are planning to join us for dinner tomorrow night too. I had the best chocolate ice cream for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright turquoise running shoes, multicolored striped socks, brightly colored floral skirt, Hawaiian shirt print backpack, and wet hair... OMG. Distracting me from listening to this program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to self: next time I ever stay in Anaheim, don't do so at a Residence Inn. Millions of families and kids all heading to Disneyland. I'm sure I am the only person staying here who is going to the conference (at least I am the only person staying here without any kids...)

    RK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met several Eurekans throughout the conference.
    Good to see Heather Hart, Thomas Vose, and Hala Shonouda! We have this shared Eureka experience, it's like an extended family :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. They had free Starbucks coffee at the back of the room during a sleepy afternoon program. Nice surprise, especially when the Java City line was too long to wait in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fire alarm went off - forced evacuation of building (at the exact moment an LSSI manager sat at RK's and my table at the Stop Privatization programs). Strange timing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. First night at the Hilton I kept hearing some weird banging sounds from my room. I was about to call and request another room when I realized it was the sounds of the Disneyland fireworks! Too bad I couldn't see them but I definitely heard them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed a thoroughly delicious red velvet, pomegranate icing cupcake handed out at the Cooking Stage by Adam Roberts, a chef who has written a book called "Secrets of the Great Chefs." I chatted in line with a library student who was at her first conference. She seemed really young and I thought she might call me Mrs. Vera at any moment. The generations came together when we both agreed the cupcakes were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. During the evacuation I headed over to Starbucks and was sitting on a couch when Luis Herrera, Director (extraordinaire) of San Francisco PL came and plopped down right next to me. I was a little starstruck, but nothing compared to these two librarians nearby who where giggling and talking about who he was like he was Brad Pitt. I almost said, like OMG, get over yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a small survey, did anybody else hear the phrase "embedded librarian" about 45 times during the conference?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, too many typos the first time I posted this, had to remove and rewrite.

    Like Karye I enjoyed reconnecting with colleagues such as Carolyn Brooks from El Dorado County Public Library (the first person to borrow a Play and Learn Island). While in the booth a former colleague from CoLAPL who is now with Rio Hondo College Library stopped by--I hadn't seen her in more than 15 years as she had been living abroad. It was wonderful to catch up with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was my first time at ALA and I just had a great time going around and seeing everything. I absolutley loved the ALA app. It made my day so much easier to navigate. And even caught the tail end of some sessions like a Graphic Novel Stage, mostly about history and a book about Julia Childs, a quick look at the Brick by Brick: Legos in the Library poster session and a cooking demonstration on how to sneak vegetables into your everyday meals. I found all of them because I had some time in between sessions/discussions and used the app to find what was happening within the hour.

    I had dinner at Bucca di Beppo with IE LEADS and also the San Diego chapter of our program LDC (Librarians for Diverse Communities). The goal was to get the two groups together and to start to network with other librarians (or future librarians). We had some speeches from recent IE LEADS and LDC grads. The evening ended with a motivational speech by Manual Urrizola about his very unique road to librarianship and ended with his song about social networking. As odd as that may sound, by the end we were singing and cheering along with him. We closed out the evening with more networking among the two groups and all agreed it was a fun evening.

    ~Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the booth! Very impressed by the set up crew RRk, MP, WG, and JD!

    Very cool to finally let the nation have an opportunity with the PALs! I talked to some very interested parties!

    Kathy Coster
    Scottsdale, AZ (Burgeon sent her over)
    * contact info through scanner

    She LOVED! We talked about my sister living in Scottsdale with nephew and how gorgeous and well designed their libraries were. She spent at least 20 minutes there. Took TONS of photos of all the PALS.

    Sharon Cox
    Discovery Center Queens, NY
    * contact info listed in a post (scanner not available)

    Louisiana - interested in possibly renting

    Carlsbad (not children's staff their) - they swore they've never been contacted

    I was also uber impressed by Wess and Jason and how quickly everything came down! Great job planning and getting us out so early!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks again for giving us all the opportunity to attend the Conference! From carpooling to chatting between sessions to running into each other at the Exhibits Hall to laughing together at Buca di Beppo, it was an informative and fun experience. I was struck yet again by how many great services our library already offers and by what a wonderful job our staff does.

    ReplyDelete